Saturday 7 April 2012

BLEACH

Photobucket

Wotcha, chums! It's the Easter holidays at last, and as is customary in Britain the weather promptly turned to shit. Which means that theoretically for the last week I should have been glued to my computer, powering through those three essays due in May. Unfortunately, whilst I have indeed been holed up in my house I have yet to crack open a book, and have instead indulged in my newfound love of BLEACH.

Oh yes. Thursday was when all bleachy hell realy broke loose when I got my hands on an empty spray bottle, filled it with a bleach solution and went crazy on this black long-sleeved cotton top.

Photobucket
Photobucket

That't the top in it's formative stages, and me with awful hair and my granny specs administering the bleach with nary a care in the world. I loved the rapid effects of the bleach-spray so much that I grabbed my old blazer jacket that I haven't worn for approximately 100 years and went bat-shit crazy on that too.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I had also popped a pair of dark denim high-waisted shorts in a bleach solution and left them for three hours. When I finally went back to them I was amazed to see that they were nigh-on unrecognisable as the shorts Mammy gave me a year ago! Pre-bleach they were the darkest indigo - 180 minutes later they came out of the bucket a gorgeous shade of light blue. Curse my lack of taking 'before' shots to go with the afters - when I start hacking my clothes up I seem to go into some kind of DIY frenzy and locating a camera is the last thing on my mind. I ended up lopping the sleeves off the bleached t-shirt, cutting a few inches off the bleached shorts, tacking them up and adding some gold studs before going to the Architects/Rolo Tomassi gig (100% awesome.) Anyway, here's a couple of shots that Jenny and I took after she picked me up from recording the documentary voiceover with Danny and Matt on Friday!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

T-shirt - homemade
Bleached shorts - originally Next, DIY-ed by me.
Specs - H&M
Boots - chazz
Necklace - the Gambia

Last night whilst watching the Help (probably one of the best films I've ever seen, if you haven't already watched it PLEASE DO!!) I grabbed a couple of scraps of Sian's left-over fabric and ribbon and stitched together a couple of bows. I was surprised at how little time they took - with each bow taking an average of 10 minutes I could realistically cover an item of clothing with them in a day...watch this space.

Photobucket

After spending the last month with precisely zero pence in my bank account, I've started to embrace the fact that I am totally poor. Being skint and thus unable to even venture into a charity shop for a quick bargain has encouraged me to start creating more clothes at a faster rate than ever before. Ahh, the simple happiness that sitting in front of a brilliant film with a pile of fabric and a million scattered pins brings...Adios! x

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I love that top! It looks great. I did that by accident to my brand new bath towels, once. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you got the bleach on the go ;)They really make normal denim shorts look amazing! I love the work you did on your top and blazer too! Deffo going to have to have a browse to see what else I can bleach in my wardrobe!

    I know what you mean about the before and after shots! It is like a frenzy your body goes under when you realise what great things you can do with something, and all thoughts of blogs and cameras disappear!

    feeling for you on the skint-ness, once again, me and you both! looking forward to seeing all these D.I.Y. creations to come though I must say!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, also just realised you mastered a decent jump shot ;)x

      Delete
  3. I am curious can you bleach the ENTIRE blazer pure white? I am just nervous because I haven't found anyone whose done it before..and I wasn't sure if it is safe on that kind of material. THANKS!!! love this too though!

    ReplyDelete